Kona has been teasing it for a few months now, but their newest city e-bike is finally here. Perfectly equipped for anything from your daily errands, to picking up groceries, or even taking the kids to school, the extended wheel base and cargo carrying abilities of the Electric Ute make it quite versatile.
Kona has offered various Ute models over the years, but the addition of a Bosch Performance Line CX drive system should make this the best Ute yet. Built around a 6061 butted aluminum frame, the bike rolls on 650b x 47mm tires. The extended rear of the bike has a bombproof integrated rack to carry anything from groceries, dogs, kids (with the proper additional accessories), or anything else you can think of.
The E-Ute comes equipped with an Ursus Jumbo 80 kickstand to keep it from falling over, as well as premium extras like Busch & Muller integrated front and rear lights, fenders, an Abus battery lock, and a set of Kona Pannier bags.
When Kona showed a prototype of this bike at Sea Otter, it was equipped with a Super Knuckle child carrying system which should give you a better idea of how you can safely tow your tot.
Thanks to the Bosch Performance Line CX motor, there should be plenty of power with pedal assist limited to 20mph for the U.S. To power the motor, there is a 500Wh battery that is semi-integrated into the frame along with the Bosch Intuvia display and handlebar mounted control.
Up front, an new tapered Kona P2 fork with thru axle should provide extra stiffness where it counts, while Tektro HDM285 hydraulic disc brakes bring things to a stop.
Available in Small (18″) or Large (20″), the bikes are available now for $4499.
- Frame Material: Kona 6061 Aluminum Butted frame
- Wheels: WTB ST i23 27.5” TCS rims
- Fork: Kona Project Two rigid fork with 15mm thru-axle
- Crankset: FSA E-Bike Cranks
- Drivetrain: Shimano Acera/Deore Shadow 9spd
- Brakes: Tektro HDM285 with 180mm front / 160mm rear rotor
- Seat Post: Kona Commuter
- Cockpit: Kona Handplant Bar, Kona Road stem with Velo Ergo Grip
- Front Tire: WTB Horizon Comp 650x 47 with Reflective Hotpatches
- Rear tire: WTB Horizon Comp 650x 47 with Reflective Hotpatches
- Saddle: Velo Plush
- Motor: Bosch Performance Line CX 20MPH NA / EU Performance line 25Kph
- Battery: Bosch 500w Powerpack battery with Abus Plus battery lock
- Display: Bosch Intuvia
- Extra: Fenders, Busch & Muller lights F&R, Ursus Jumbo 80 kickstand, Bags